Hello guys! I totally missed last weeks post….I was so busy it was ridiculous. In fact my whole timeline for this project was thrown off because of these dang on floors. I never cut or installed floors myself so I knew it was going to take me a bit to figure it all out, but I did not think it was going to take me (cough…ahem*) 2 weeks. Yes y’all, two freaking weeks. By the time I cut and placed my last piece of plank, I was rejoicing. I thought I would never finish. I want to say never again, but I still have three more spaces to lay wood. Just know this…after this ORC, I am taking a break from projects. This whole flooring debacle was abuse on my body and mind….SOOOOOOOO much thinking.
This is a sponsored post. All thoughts and opinions are mine and mine alone.
Let me fess up a bit. The reason it took me so long to cut the wood (not into planks, the mister helped with that) was because I used my Dremel. That thing worked pretty dang good, but slowed me down a bit. I did not have the help I needed during the day to help me hold the planks up on my table saw (nor did I have a table tall enough to help guide me) so I took it upon myself to use the Dremel. I would not advise this method to anyone. I broke 2 pieces doing it this way and had to replace them. Don’t ask me how, I think I was just impatient. I also spent a whole day making a handful of specialty cuts. That itself takes talent…talent that I do not have.
Prior to taking this project on, I researched my butt off. I read a handful of other bloggers plank wood flooring posts, I asked questions in support groups, and I watched a ton of YouTube videos on it. I thought I knew what I was doing. With all this said, I decided to follow Door 16 tutorial. We used the same thickness in wood. If I could I would go back and choose something a little bit thicker, but I was taking in consideration the other thickness of wood around my house (parquet floor and the laminate flooring in my kitchen). I also did not see many options for plywood thickness that was around the $18-$25 a sheet. I live in a town, with major cities being what some would consider approximately 2 states away. I paid around $20 a sheet for 640 sq. ft. I still have a small stack of already cut and ready to use wood sitting in my living room.
I never thought a square room would be so complicated. The only thing I can say is that I am a slow DIYer. Well, the hard part is over. YaY!!!! Now to the good stuff….back when I moved into my home, I was contacted by WOCA– flooring products for wooden floors. I told them exactly what I planned on doing and they checked to make sure it was possible. I have really enjoyed working with them. They have been so patient with me, sending me samples to test to make sure I choose the right stain. I tested and ended up going with Pre-Colour Black with a Diamond Oil Carbon Black finish…Black on black baby!!! You cannot tell from the picture above but you CAN see the grain although stained black. It is disguised a bit, but it is visible and beautiful. Truthfully, staining and buffing was the highlight of the whole floor install. Since I wanted to achieve such an intense color they had to specialize the instruction. When I had questions all I did was pick up the phone and call them. They were quick to help and so friendly. I ended up having problems with my first buffer and had to return it, so it took me a little bit longer to finish the buffing, but it all worked out. Since I was on such a tight timeframe I was not able to document the step by step of how I used WOCA products, but no worries, I plan to share after I install the flooring in the other spaces around my house. In the meanwhile, check out my Instagram. I have been sharing a lot about these floors in my stories so if you want the juice just follow me @Domicile37. I will give you all the scoop and more.
A special Thank You to my sponsors